Dr Coupe underwent training in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine in Poole, Guys Hospital London, Cardiff, and the Bristol region. In 2005 he was appointed as a Consultant in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine to the Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust. He has been a Trust Governor for a number of years.
He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists, a Fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine and a Fellow of the Faculty of Pain Medicine of the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
Scope of current pain work and experience
Dr Coupe is a full time NHS Consultant. A substantial proportion of his time is spent working in the field of pain medicine. He has a busy private pain medicine practice based at Circle Bath Hospital and the BMI Bath Clinic.
Dr Coupe has a broad range of interests within the field of pain medicine, including interventional and non-interventional aspects of pain management, treatment of neuropathic pain and opioids in chronic non-cancer pain. He is skilled in a wide range of interventional techniques including but not limited to: epidurals at all spinal levels, selective nerve root blockade and radiofrequency lesioning for chronic facet joint pain. He is the lead for regional anaesthesia in the NHS, having particular skills in ultrasound guided peripheral nerve blockade.
Dr Coupe works within a multidisciplinary team utilizing a holistic approach that includes rehabilitative and psychological aspects of pain management.
Dr Coupe completed Bond Solon Civil Procedure Rules for Expert Witness Certificate in 2016. He undertakes CPD in the medicolegal field and is a regular attendee at the Cambridge Annual Medicolegal Conference.
1. Cook TM, Coupe M, Ku T. Shaping quality: the use of performance polygons for multidimensional presentation and interpretation of qualitative performance data. Br J Anaesth. 2012 Mar. 25;:1–8.
2. Coupe M, Cook TM. Complications of regional anaesthesia. Anaesthetic and Perioperative Complications. Cambridge University Press; 2011.
3. Stannard C, Coupe M, Pickering T. Opioids in non-cancer pain. Oxford University Press; 2007.
4. Stannard C, Coupe M. Opioids in persistent non-cancer pain. Education in Anaesthesia. 2007.
• British Medical Association
• British Pain Society
• International Association for the Study of Pain
• Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland